Saturday, June 10, 2006

Kobi Diam


Kobi Diam...that's the Hailam way of saying kopi tiam. Just behind the phone booth was where my late AhGung would bring me on saturday mornings when he visits and chats with his hailam ko buddies.

My AhGung would pull on his well ironed slacks, normally grey in color and he will pull on a white shirt and he never fails to slide his Parker ballpoint pen into his pocket. He always has a pen on him. It was silver in color with a gold clip and blue ink. Then he will get me dressed in my shorts and i don't remember what shirt i wore but i definately know i had my shorts on. He would then pull out his trusty steed, the black Raleigh. Once he got on I will climb onto the back saddle and we would be on our way. At that time sitting on the metal 'saddle' was not a bother. The thrill of going out with AhGung was worth the discomfort.

This kobi diam was more a stall than a shop. The whole building was a market. This is the dry section where you get vege and all that. The building at the back houses the wet market where chicken, fish and the other animals are slaughtered.


Once there my AhGung would greet his buddies or sukinang...orang kampung...and order his nes-si-kobi...nescafe. I don't get to choose my drink but i'm happy with nes-si-kobi. I get to choose my kueh. The nescafe arrives in a cup and saucer and my AhGung will pour my share into the saucer while talking to his buddies. He then pulls out his Rothmans and lights it and continues with their chatter. I was oblivious to all that as I was enjoying my kueh and blowing my hot nes-si-kobi in the saucer before sipping it.

At the end of it all i climb onto our trusty steed after my AhGung and we head home with me full with kueh and nes-si-kobi and happy for the outing with my AhGung.

7 Comments:

Blogger Vegie said...

Is this the AGung that said "when eat tim sum, eat siew moi will suffice, cos all the rest are using the same pork with prawns anyway" ?

8:14 AM  
Blogger pathfinder said...

no le. This is the AhGung that said; 'It does not matter how much you earn but that you earn it honestly and live an honest life that matters.'

8:42 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Eh? That is the place where everyone placed bet on what time is it, going to rain?

2:13 AM  
Blogger ThatJames said...

That's Siang-Malam, Gina.

8:18 AM  
Blogger dreamie said...

Interesting write-ups. NICE !

9:37 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Siang Malam that time also belum ada lagi mah?? They always place bet at the old market next to KFC punya mah. NO meh?

2:31 AM  
Blogger pathfinder said...

Only plc i knw whr the betting occurs is at 'kole' near my mom's plc but that is no more. This plc is the siang of siangmalam which you guys congregate. This i am sure.

3:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home