Monday, April 30, 2007

Bleeding 6th Day

Thankfully the Teku had receded to a gentle flow, even then it's currents were still very strong. Strong enough to wash someone over and carry them to the estuary of Kuala Tahan. Dead or alive would depend on one's luck.

We left Kem Teku after breakfast and a crap by the wayside. Dug in of course. Time of departure 0945hrs. Today we will cross the river Teku at 8 sections. I was excited and raring to go. Hell...we were gonna get wet and cold from the waist down. What's so bad about that right? Wrong! I was so wrong. Waist high and cooling for the day it promised but i did not bargain for the current being so strong and the river wide as a 4 lane highway.

At the first crossing it was still cool as it was a branching into the river from a less furious river. The 2nd crossing was a taste of what was to come after that. Waist high and furious it flowed. We had to cross hand in hand or risk being washed down stream or worse. To make matters worse after extracting ourselves from the river we had to climb up the banks and into the forest as we traverse and disect our way to the next camp...Kem Tengah.

By the 8th crossing i was pretty damn exhausted and being last i had to cross the river by myself. Meow had decided to go on his own ahead of me and this pissed me off as i was not able to cross the last section. Current was just as strong not any stronger but the exhaustion had kicked in and i couldn't lift my leg to move another step. I was basically standing still in the drift and unable to move ahead. My buddy had left me in a lurge and gone across. Any movement by me threatened to knock me over. I just stood still waiting for Amir the guide who came and gave me a hand and so did Meow.

My limbs were tired and my legs were bleeding. So was Meow's. We both had been sucked all the way by the locals...leeches. Bleeding non stop we had our lunch at 1500hrs by the banks of Sg. Teku as did the leeches.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home