Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hassan The Morrocan

A 6th generation Morrocan artist living in Malaysia. He does these moorish carvings you see in the background. I met him in a very prominent building in the heart of our city. He and his workmen carve out the designs in situ on plaster medium. The design comes from his head. His craft passed down from his father and from his father's father and from his father's father's father...all six generations of them and now to him.

Not only is he talented but i admire his passion as he leaves his legacy behind on the walls and ceillings of one of Malaysia's more prominent buildings which is also a legacy in the making...Yayasan Al-Bukhary.
In 2 days i have met as many artist living amongst us. Both passionate about their work both leaving a legacy for the future generations. Hassan a sixth generation Morrocan and Marhabbah a Kelantanese lady with whom i had the pleasure of meeting and chatting. She shared with me her passion for the arts and is actively working towards making a stand for recognition for artists in our homeland. A proud and passionate woman.
I salute these artists for their passion and the beauty they bring to us through their God given talents.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Is there a way I can get in touch with Hassan? I would love to work with him on a project i'm currently designing.

Thank you,
Munir

8:35 PM  
Blogger pathfinder said...

Wow... I didn't think anyone wld be reading my post. I wld love to connect you guys but it was that one time i met him and regrettably i did not take his nos. You cld check with the Yayasan. I am sure they wld hav his contact since they are the patron to Islamic art. Hope u find him.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home